10 Tips To Get You Through Your Kitchen Remodel
Most everyone wants a new kitchen but few people realize the work and inconvenience that goes into a kitchen remodel. A big remodel can take months and you won't have access to the room while the work is going on.'Kontraktor Bangunan' While this can be a trying time, once you have your beautiful new kitchen in place it will be well worth it!
Here's some tips to get you through the remodel and on to your new kitchen:
1. You will need to set up a temporary kitchen in another part of the house. Make sure it is a convenient location with have access to water and a space to keep food cold as well as a place to heat up meals. Sometimes portable appliances like a crock pot or electric frying pan and a small dorm fridge and microwave work good for a temporary 'Kontraktor Bangunan' arrangement if you will be replacing your old appliances.
2. Make sure you really think about how long the job will take. Most jobs run take longer than expected. This can be frustrating for everyone, so it's in your best interest to set a realistic date and that way you won't be disappointed.
3. Make sure you know what you are going to reuse. Whether you do some of the work yourself or hire it out make sure that it is very clear what things are going to be reused. The cabinets, counter tops and flooring can become damaged during a remodel and if you are planning on reusing them this can be a huge problem and expense.'Kontraktor Bangunan' Remember to be careful around these reusable items.
4. Make sure you seal off the room properly so you don't get dust and debris all over the house. If you have hired someone to do the job, they will probably know just what to do but if you are doing it yourself, invest in some plastic sheeting and make sure you secure it around the doorways as good as possible.
5. Get everything out of the kitche. Box up everything that will not be used in your temporary kitchen. Label the boxes and store them out of the way.
6. Remove anything that isn't nailed or screwed down. This includes drawers, lazy susans, spice racks, wall clocks, ornaments, etc. Place a protective cover over anything that must remain in place while you work.
7. Make arrangements for the removal of any refuse that may accumulate during the remodeling.'Kontraktor Bangunan' if you must rent a dumpster, do so in plenty of time or have a pick up truck on hand for hauling the rubbish to the dump. if you plan to salvage the old cabinetry for a workshop or donation to a charitable cause, have a place ready for them to go as you take them out of your work area.
8. Think safety and remember to turn off all utilities b efore removing any major appliances, turn off all utilities. This can be done at the individual shut off valves for gas and water. If there are no shut off valves, you will have to turn off the main valve. The main gas valve is usually located near the gas meter. Remember that, once you turn off the gas to the whole house, ALL pilot lights will have to be relit before they will work again. Without careful planning you may find yourself without hot water when you're ready to clean up after a hard day's work.
9. In older homes, the wiring may have been modified over the years and it may not be clear which circuits or fuses control specific areas. If you are unsure, turn off the main power or get professional assistance. Never take a chance with electricity! In addition,'Kontraktor Bangunan' tape over the breakers so they won't be turned on inadvertently. If you plan on upgrading your electrical system and adding new outlets and fixtures, it will be necessary to dismantle all existing outlets and fixtures.
10. Remove all light bulbs. Then, dismantle each fixture by using a screwdriver to unscrew the plate and the receptacle and pull the receptacle out of the box.'Kontraktor Bangunan' Put wire nuts on any exposed wires for the interim. The bare copper wire is the ground and does not need to be capped.
Lee Dobbins writes for A Kitchen Decorating Idea where you can find more tips on kitchen remodeling and decorating on a budget.